Thursday, January 29, 2015

Video Tutorial & Blog on Making Realistic Beautiful eyes in Polymer Clay First Post in 2015 so it's long !

Yesterday morning I completed the uploading of three videos on how I make eyes for my dolls and figure.  I cover the process for all three scales I work in.  The tutorial breaks down into 4 processes, this blog contains a supplies list at the bottom, and information and graphics describing the steps in each process filmed in the tutorial.
The way I make eyes has evolved over 5 years from using small hole punches and printed irises embedded between polymer clay and UV cured sculpture gel, to an early version of these..   Eventually I came to this method, but initially I followed the actual anatomical structure of an iris which is more of a disk.  It wasn't until last Summer, when I began my journey into 1/12 scale dolls and needed to make irises more bowl shaped to accommodate the pupils, it was then that a realization struck me why not make all my eyes that way?  So after a few batches of making these eye in 1/6 and 1/12 scale serendipity struck, and I finally made the eyes that grabbed my attention and really have a depth that whispers as an animate living soul.
 This technique for me is as good as it's going to get, that was my missing puzzle piece, the only aspect that I might attempt in the 1/4 scale size is to paint threading on the irises, but the present way I create them shown in these video tutorials is effective enough in 1/12 and 1/6 scale that I will not modify it for those sizes, now I'm ready to make the dolls I dreamed of.
  Not without sharing this first because I feel as Tesla described
"The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power." — Nikola Tesla 
The knowledge which comes as ideas fueled by desire to create, and perfect that which I create is a gift from Divine Being, and I don't mind giving it forward unconditionally.

In honor of Nikola Tesla, I'm naming the mouse on my Venus Gaze watermark for 2015&2016  Mr. Tesla Mouse he will be your guide for all tutorials, and creations I share online for the next 2 years.

The first video is on how to make the eyes themselves from polymer clay, I use Fimo Classic White
They are easy to make, this technique is a way of bypassing many of the frustrating aspects of previous ways I've made them, and less complicated, it's definitely a lot easier using the tools, than making individual balls by hand.  In this video I explain the first two steps  making the eyes baking them, the first baking is 275°F (130°C) for 10 minutes after preheating.   I place these on a glass dish start the oven once it reaches the temp, I set the oven timer to 10 minutes, once the 10 minutes are up I shut the oven off, wait 5 minutes and open the oven door to speed up the cooling. 
 Step two is painting, I keep that simple I use Genesis Heat Set paints, Viridian Blue 01 and Carbon Black for any shade of Blue & Green Eyes, Burnt Umber & Carbon Black for any shade of brown Eyes.  When I bake the paint, I let the temp reach 275°F (130°C), then shut the oven off within 5 minutes.  I also describe safety, this technique requires the use of an razor craft knife to remove the eyes before use, I explain that in the first video.

            









 Now in the second video, I make the Irises.  This way of making them is a lot easier than printing them out on transparencies and using a hole small punch, or cutting them out, I can color 5 pair of these eyes in the amount of time it took me to print and cut a single pair of those earlier eyes I made. This method also gives me more control in the size I make the irises.  Below the video are graphic files that walk you the steps this third process.  The recipe for this eye color, and mixture of Pearl-Ex Powder.  These are baked repeating the first baking process.

All of this is covered in the video, these images can serve as reference charts.

















                 

                                                                             

                               
The end results.


The Most Important supplies list, Pearl N Etch Tools Set by Polyform!
UV- OPI Sculpture Gel Clear   Pearl Ex pigment powders   Michaels Crafts stores carry the microbeads, color is ebony, the microbeads I use in the 1/4-1/5 scale eyes are these Micro Marbles from an etsy seller. Ball Stylus tools are readily available, the polyform set is available at Michael's Crafts, and the kemper ones are in ceramic supply shops, but nail suppliers sell them too, and the link to the etsy shop selling the micro marbles, has set with 5 different ones.

Comments & Suggestions for the next video Tutorial are welcomed, and Thanks for watching.

10 comments:

  1. Great job, very good tutorials. About the same as I make my resin eyes, I use a different 2 component resin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tutorial! I might have to give it a try, Alan! :-) Thank you very much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good but video 1 seems to be missing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen, I fixed the problem, I published it with three videos in, and the first one vanished. Even in the html the link disappeared.

    Lori, These eyes are easy to create, if you give making them a try I'm sure you'll ace it.

    Thanks Vicci, and Marie, I haven't found a 2 part resin that doesn't yellow in the oven or over time. The UV gel is closer to a polycarbonate plastic, than an actual resin. It will cure under any black light. A UV chamber in the lower price range runs about $30 new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan,

      I'm using Gedeo Crystal Resin, I didn't have any problems with yellowing. Baked the eyes several times, the ones I made last August still look clear. Some well known doll artists use this resin so I thought this resin would be ok. Although I have to say the UV resin seems to be less of a hassle and it dries more quickly.

      I have to hang them upside down for the dome to form and to dry, it takes more than 24 hours. And every time I have to look with a mirror to check if the domes (and irises) are even. A lot of work.. So I might try this UV resin too. ;)
      Here are two pics of some of the eyes I made. :)
      http://mariekopdekiek.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/img_2701-2.jpg
      http://mariekopdekiek.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/img_2805.jpg

      Marika

      Delete
  5. Hi Marika,

    I've had many issues with two part resins. The UV-Gel is easy, I'm going to add supplemental segment to the video demonstrated on the larger eyes to achieve overall shiny eyes like the ones you make using O-P-I no-cleanse top coat sealer. That video should be up next Sunday. The eyes, and dolls you make a beautiful.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan!
      Looking forward to the new video.

      Marika

      Delete
  6. Hi.
    Your eyes are really beautiful.
    I use printed ones on my dolls,but yours look realistic.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Timea
    enchantedolls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that video tutorials are very efficient, effective and useful for its viewers.
    SEO video tutorials

    ReplyDelete